Arup Senior Energy & Building Simulation Consultant in San Francisco, California
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now employs 14,000 people globally. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever-changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Arup’s San Francisco office is seeking a Senior Energy & Building Simulation Consultant to join our growing team working on a wide range of innovative projects in the built environment. We seek creative self-initiating problem-solvers, able to work as part of a team and independently, applying a wide range of communication and analytical skills to design and consulting.
Your Responsibilities: You will work as part of a multi-disciplinary integrated team to help delivery work in: energy simulation, building design or retrofit, computational analytics, building energy & sustainability benchmarking, compliance with codes and standards, and innovative ways of working. On a daily basis you might lead and review the simulation efforts of a team of consultants, lead analyses by junior staff, develop new processes, oversee written and graphical summaries of work for clients, attend client meetings and assist with or lead proposals. Your experience and capability will determine the breadth of your responsibility.
• Building energy & resource use analysis, including the use of specialized building energy simulation software (IES VE and EnergyPlus preferred)
• Building design and engineering, including identification, analysis and selection of appropriate integrated systems
• Experience in software such as: TAS, Modelica, ESPr
• Coding skills in software such as: Python, Perl, R, or Julia
• Rating systems: LEED, LBC, Labs21 EPC, GGHC
• Cost & benefit financial analysis over a project life cycle
• Prior project work with statistics, data analytics, advanced algorithms, or machine learning
Your Skills: You should have the unique combination of interpersonal and analytical skill that will make you a key member of a successful team. Specifically, you should be able to demonstrate the following
• Strong communication skills – visual/graphical, written, and spoken
• Outstanding skills in integrated analytical problem solving
• Ability to clearly present technical results to non-technical audiences
• Superior skill in the use of software & protocols suitable for the role
• Skill in energy and building system technologies
We value creativity, a drive to succeed independently and as part of a team, a commitment to client satisfaction and a genuine interest in sustainable energy systems.
We will consider a range of experience and academic degrees. An undergraduate degree is essential and a graduate degree is preferred. Ideal academic disciplines include engineering, architecture, building sciences. Directly related experience will substitute for graduate degrees.
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, GRRSP match, time off and profit share.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Title: Senior Energy & Building Simulation Consultant
Location: California-San Francisco
Requisition ID: SAN00009A