TRC Companies Senior Technical Project Manager (Energy Efficiency, Emerging Technologies) in Oakland, California
TRC Energy Services (TRC) creates and implements sophisticated and innovative solutions to the challenges facing America's energy markets and infrastructure. TRC provides energy efficiency research, engineering and technical consulting services for energy efficiency initiatives across the United States. TRC is focused on 'tech to market' initiatives that promote emergent technologies and strategies to save energy in buildings. Our clients include utilities, state and federal agencies, and other energy efficiency organizations.
TRC is seeking a qualified individual with building science knowledge and HVAC/controls and building simulation experience to support commercial and residential energy efficiency building analysis, emerging technology research, and codes and standards development. Candidates must possess strong technical capabilities including broad based knowledge of building systems, energy efficiency technologies and control strategies, zero net energy building efficiency and renewable solutions, life cycle cost analysis, and building simulation tools.
An ideal candidate would be a building scientist with a minimum of eight (8) years' experience (though more experience is preferred) in one or more of the following areas:
- Lighting or HVAC engineering, controls systems design, or commissioning, preferably on high performance innovative projects
- Design experience integrating multiple building systems, including whole building energy analysis
- Building simulation modeling including DOE-2, EnergyPlus, OpenStudio, EnergyPro, Daysim, Radiance, or similar
- Energy data measurement including metering, monitoring and real-time data analysis and processing of collected data
- Feasibility and life cycle cost analysis of energy efficiency measures to generate a business and policy case for implementation of new energy efficiency measures.
Primary Work Area Responsibilities:
- Emerging Technologies Research and Demonstrations
- Codes and Standards
- Evaluation, Measurement and Verification (EM&V)
Specific projects and topics areas to be addressed in this position include:
- Building Energy Systems Application and Research
- Emerging Technology Assessment
- Energy savings analysis
- Renewable energy systems analysis
- Energy Efficiency Codes and Standards (C&S) Development
- Energy Efficiency Program Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Zero Net Energy Policy Research
Project Responsibility (80%)
This position involves technical analysis and research on a wide array of energy efficiency topics. This position requires an individual who enjoys and can handle multiple projects covering multiple technical areas and multiple tasks.
- Provide technical analysis and project management services for projects involving emerging technologies and solutions. These include consulting on Zero Net Energy new construction, deep energy retrofit projects for existing buildings, demonstrations of whole building retrofit solutions and emerging technologies research.
- Analysis will cover primarily commercial buildings, but may also include single family residential and multifamily buildings. Activities include energy analysis, field monitoring, design assistance, design reviews, and commissioning assistance.
- Working on a variety of energy saving calculations, strategies and projects.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously and able to meet deadlines and client expectations.
- Review calculations and assumptions used to estimate or measure savings due to energy efficiency and green building projects.
- Conduct on site meetings and presentations and provide answers to technical and program related questions.
- Mentor and train staff and establish/maintain analysis tools and standards for the TRC analysis team
Business Development Responsibility (20%)
This position will lead business development and new client development for the TRC Consulting Services practice.
- Lead and support proposal development for consulting services projects, primarily in Emerging Technologies, ZNE buildings analysis, energy modeling, building energy standards and associated market assessment and research activities.
Lead new client and new business opportunity development efforts to support consulting services business line growth.
- Advanced Degree in Engineering, Architecture, Building Science or related discipline preferred.
- Minimum of eight years professional experience in the building energy efficiency field, HVAC design, or related engineering field. More experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in engineering analysis and other qualitative and quantitative research analysis, field measurements, and market assessment.
- Ability to translate complex technical topics and analysis results to various stakeholders Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, meet deadlines, work both independently and collaboratively, and communicate effectively.
- Project Management Skills, including ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills interacting with diverse stakeholders.
- Proficiency in database, word processing, and spreadsheet analysis.
- Strong quantitative skills.
- Ability to manage own time and workload effectively.
Oakland or Sacramento, California preferred, but we will consider candidates in San Francisco, San Diego, Irvine and Los Angeles, California.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Oakland, CA - OKD