Avangrid Service Company Lead Analyst - Energy Control Systems Tech (ASC 56961) Binghamton, NY in Binghamton, New York
Publication date: 10.04.2018
Company: Avangrid Service Company (ASC)
Department: Smart Grids Infrastructure
Job Title: Lead Analyst - Energy Control Systems Tech
Reports to: Manager - Energy Control Systems
Location: Binghamton, NY
Cross Company Responsibility: Yes
Business and Department
Scope of Work - Main duties, settings, geography, reporting relationships, other relationships:
Responsible for leading and architecting advanced data base and application development for AVANGRID Energy
Management System (EMS) and SCADA environments, as part of the global environment of AVANGRID. As part of
the Global Team, architects, designs, and develops Energy Management System functions into a common,
integrated solution for AVANGRID and aligned to provide a common Global Solution. Serves as primary lead in
finding technical and application solutions across AVANGRID that satisfies diverse Operation Centers, process
owners, satisfies compliance and regulatory requirements and EMS technical requirements to meet strategic Global
business plans. Primary technical architect and contact for specifying and leading developments associated with
EMS and SCADA within Operations Technologies.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Scope of work - range of responsibilities):
* Leads design and technical enhancements in the Energy Management Systems, back office environments and
other applications in Operations Technologies to meet operational business requirements. Ensuring systems and
applications are designed and implemented to achieve system performance, availability, recoverability, regulatory,
and compliance requirements.
* Develops technical solutions and/or configuration changes to meet ongoing requirements. Leads implementation
of changes as required and prepares specifications for approved changes performed by SCADA-EMS analysts.
* Leads Energy Management System data base development and administration. Leads a skilled team in data base
conversions and upgrades, development work and application development against complex and multiple data
bases within the EMS environments and associated ancillary back office systems.
* Leads the design and implementation of advanced application developments to support EMS network models and
applications in support of the Electric System. Leads a skilled team in application development to support Electric
Operations using real time data in areas including security, contingency analysis, advanced billing systems,
network analysis across AVANGRID.
* Leads support team responsibilities related to technical capabilities of Energy Control Systems and responsible for prioritizing technical implementation of applications, coordinating technical system upgrades and technical issue resolution with vendors. Responsible for managing operations of all aspect Energy Control system technical
platforms and related services from architectural planning through day to day operations and support.
* Responsible for leading lifecycle projects; plans, coordinates, communicates and executes leading cross
functional teams as required. Interacts with global counterparts to reach common solutions.
* Leads team in creating and maintaining technical documentation, change management principles, system
performance trend analysis, management and integration of different technical components, training and
* Responsible for managing 24/7 availability of EMS/SCADA /Back Office Applications in the Control Center
environment through day to day support and through developed processes and procedures to be used by technical
* Leads coordination with end users and process owners to understand ongoing requirements (changes,
modifications, improvements) and ensuing overall technical solution of system implementation for Energy
Management Systems/SCADA Subsystems and off line applications with Operations Technologies, IT, NYISO,
other Utilities and business users. Initiates and leads projects across disciples ensuring timely and accurate
solutions to the business areas, including tracking and addressing unresolved user requests.
* Leads complex technical problem resolution and provide training and mentoring to other support and design areas
and co-workers. Provides on-going end user training and end user support as required and identifies and leads the
implementation of system functionality not currently utilized. Responsible for developing and delivering robust
enterprise solutions to address operational and business needs to achieve operational and reliability goals using
OT EMS and back office platforms.
* Platforms include but are not limited to EMS/SCADA Systems, Web Servers, Windows Application and Data Base
Servers, networking appliances, firewalls, switches, routers and other security platforms for external data
* Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending training, participating in user group meetings, and
working collectively to support various areas of business.
* Responsible for supporting Disaster Recovery, storm events and other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Required:
* Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of three years relevant experience preferred. Associates Degree with a
minimum of five years relevant experience required.
* Prior leadership, supervisory, or project management experience.
* Knowledge of electrical theory.
* Experience and advanced knowledge of database development, support and programming experience.
* Strong leadership and communication skills.
* Strong analytical, complex problem solving and successful negotiation skills.
* Strong background in SCADA/EMS. Siemens Spectrum platform is preferred.
* Strong experience in administering and developing in Windows Server environments, using visual studio, .net,
* Extensive technical background with knowledge in technical hardware architecture, Linux/Unix/Windows
Operating System familiarity, networking and topology, understanding of high level network and security concepts.
* Experience implementing security at the application and operating system level.
* Experience with security areas such as Firewalls, Intrusion Detection Systems, continuous security monitoring,
centralized log management, network switches, network routers, network design, VPN implementation, TCP/IP
communication, performing information security assessments, computer forensics, a nti-virus, patch evaluation,
event monitoring systems, and network analysis.
* Experience with network configurations e.g. LAN/VLAN/WAN/IPsec/VPN tunnels/ WINS/DNS/DHCP.
* Experienced with products such as Sun (Oracle, SQL and Solaris), IBM, Microsoft, Cisco technologies and
products and Open Source products (Linux).
* Technical background with network functionality and tools including SSH, Traceroute, ping, understanding of
DHCP, routing, VPN technologies, IP addressing, firewall concepts and architecture.
* Experience and proactive mind to coordinate teams and the capacity to lead discussions with management and
technical teams within AVANGRID and Global EMS/SCADA Teams to meet priorities and resolve issues.
* Experience with information security practices related to NERC CIP, IT, Application and Network Security.
* Strong understanding of Energy Control Centers, Electric Operations, Substation Environments and devices.
* Experience with network, server and desktop hardware and software technologies.
* Results oriented and proactive.
* Strong project management skills.
* Proven ability to learn new technologies, solve complex technical issues and present complex information in an
understandable compelling manner.
* Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Project and other business analytical tools.
* Must possess good verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to work with all levels of the
organization in a professional manner.
* High level of organizational skills.
This opportunity will offer
AVANGRID is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. AVANGRID shall abide by the requirements of
41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified
individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to
employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, or national origin, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. The Company is committed to a policy in all of its employment practices of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, r eligion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability, religion, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, or other protected status.
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to
apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at
877-387-9061 or firstname.lastname@example.org.