Skanska Mechanical Piping Estimator - Power & Energy in Queens, New York
SKANSKA USA CIVIL POWER & ENERGY
Mechanical Piping Estimator - Power & Energy
Position is based in Queens NY
Reports to: Vice President Estimating and Project Controls
The Mechanical Piping Estimator is responsible for developing the complete piping estimate, ensuring all estimating and job specific bid closeout procedures are followed for large, complex power construction projects. Candidate will prepare and review all portions of multi-discipline project documents, providing full pipe estimating services on large, complex work and all types of contracts (Hard-dollar, design-build, EPC, negotiated etc.). The position will be required to provide support for all estimating needs.
* Perform process piping takeoffs from engineered drawings at various level of design completion;
* Ability to perform preliminary layouts and develop quantities from process flow diagrams;
* Prepare project piping estimates to ensure all factors are properly considered, priced, and included in the piping estimate;
* Incorporate solid understanding of the various mechanical piping systems and components into complex estimates;
* Research services for methods, costs and construction techniques that will provide Skanska a competitive edge;
* Study the contractual and technical requirements of the work;
* Obtain clarification of questions or conflicts affecting the estimate;
* Identify problems, inaccuracies and cost saving measures that arise or that may be encountered;
* Analyze labor agreements and job conditions and apply appropriate production and labor pricing rates to the work;
* Iden tify, analyze, and mitigate potential projects risks;
* Assist in the collection and analysis of man-hour and cost information from projects for the use of historical data;
* Organize detailed estimates to be converted into man-hour information and become easily understood for review purposes and efficiently turned over to project personnel;
* Assist in developing the project schedule and determine requirements for staffing, overtime, equipment, and temporary facilities;
* Participate in negotiations concerning contracts or change orders;
* Solicit, evaluate, and incorporate material and subcontract pricing as required.
* Perform detailed takeoffs;
* Perform Constructability studies including preliminary rigging plans and crane selection;
* Perform site visits and investigations;
* Prepare recaps, pricing sheets, bid forms and other proposal documents for in-house review and submittal;
* Develop comparative estimates for management decision making;
* Negotiate award of major subcontractor and vendor agreements on successfully bid projects;
* Complete peer review of estimates in piping and mechanical process for accuracy, completeness, and content;
* Assist with maintenance of estimating databases for piping.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
* Undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering, and/or diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technology;
* 5 years+ construction experience with at least 3 years of pipe estimating;
* Experience with piping take-off software required with Quote Express experience a plus;
* Experience with HCSS software a plus;
* Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment;
* Ability to read and interpret project documents (process piping isometrics, schematics, and process diagrams) for selected discipline;
* Possess strong mathematical and computer skills (experience with Microsoft Excel and Word is beneficial);
* Must be able to meet deadlines and put in the time needed to get the job done;
* Effective oral and written communication skills;
* Must be willing to travel and/or potentially relocate;
* Candidate must possess a strong work ethic;
* Work well as part of a team as well as independently;
* Strong organizational, interpersonal skills;
* Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
Skanska is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
Skanska USA is one of the largest, most financially sound construction and development companies in the U.S., serving a broad range of clients including those in transportation, power, industrial, water/wastewater, healthcare, education, sports, data centers, government, aviation and commercial. Headquartered in New York with offices in 31 metro areas, we have more than 10,000 employees committed to being leaders in safety, project execution, sustainability, ethics and people development. In 2016, our work in building construction, civil and power/industrial construction, commercial development and infrastructure development (public-private partnerships) generated $6.8 billion in revenue. Global revenue of parent company Skanska AB, headquartered in Stockholm and listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange, totaled $17.7 billion in 2016. Skanska shares are publicly traded in the U.S. on the OTC market under the symbol SKBSY through a Level I American Depository Receipt program .
We are proud to be named one of America's Best Employers of 2016 by Forbes.
Search Firm and Employment Agency Disclaimer
Skanska USA Human Resources ("Skanska HR") provides HR services to the Skanska business units within the U.S.A. including Skanska USA Civil Inc., Skanska USA Building Inc., Skanska USA Commercial Development Inc. and Skanska Infrastructure Development Inc. (collectively "Skanska USA"). As such, Skanska HR is the sole authorized representative of Skanska USA to execute any agreements with search firms, employment agencies or any employment vendor ("Vendor"). As a condition precedent to any entitlement for payment, a Vendor shall have both (1) Skanska USA Placement Agreement, and (2) an Engagement Job Order executed by an authorized Skanska HR representative. Absent the properly executed documents, Skanska HR shall have no obligation to make payment to the Vendor. Verbal or written communications from any employee of Skanska USA business units shall not be considered binding obligations. All resumes whether unsolicited or solicited shall be considered property of Skanska H R.