Southern Company Analyst, Planning & Regulatory- Energy Efficiency in Naperville, Illinois
Analyst, Planning & Regulatory- Energy Efficiency
Responsible for QA/QC, change management and strategic planning activities for Nicor Gas’ Energy Efficiency Program (“EEP”). This position will be responsible for establishing and developing short and long-term strategic EEP plans for future implementation; organizing and facilitating change management for portfolio adjustments and new plan launches; and managing overall QA/QC activities conducted internally within the Department, and externally by implementation contractors and other program partners.
Serves as the initial program lead in identifying, coordinating and organizing EEP activities for future implementation. Will initially coordinate program management activities and alignment for strategic programs, coordinating among a wide range of cross-functional internal and external resources to ensure that projects are within the scope, within budget, and on schedule, with guidance from senior management. Responsible for strategic planning at it relates to the EEP and for portfolio-wide quality assurance and control.
This position will assist the regulatory team associated with reconciliation activities, assuring information is prepared and tracked, managed. Coordinate the data request process associated with filings and coordinate reviews and consultations with other departments such as Regulatory, Legal, and Government Relations; among others, on such regulatory matters.
This position will be engaging with leadership and subject matter experts within the department to organize and develop strategic business strategies to guide future departmental efforts. This position will gather information, analyze it and proposes strategies for potential implementation. The assignments will be highly varied and will rely heavily on the individual’s abilities to chart a course of direction. Sound business and technical acumen, including competency in project management, process mapping, analytical and presentation applications and tools are required. Overall QA/QC reviews will require command of all program offerings, and the ability to identify deviations from protocols and plans.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for generating regulatory reporting content, preparation of filings, and review of testimony associated with portfolio and program-level activities.
• Develop short and long-term strategic plans for the EEP which identifies key functions that need to be accomplished for the program. These entail developing project charters, integrated project plans, resource plans, contingency plans and related project management activities.
• Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support EEP goals in collaboration with senior leadership and external stakeholders. Define project success criteria and disseminate then to involved parties through the project lifecycle.
• Collaborate, leverage and manage resources to ensure delivery of solutions.
• Manage and develop Quality Assurance and Quality Control initiatives across our energy efficiency portfolio.
• Manage audit process with external vendors performing QA/QC in the residential and business programs.
• Lead multiple project teams simultaneously through the entire project life cycle and provided day-to-day direction to one direct report.
• Act independently and judiciously to ensure projects are completed within scope, on-time and on-budget, where possible.
• Identify and mange change management project dependencies and critical path items.
• Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises and devise contingency plans.
• Manage and review the QA/QC audits across the energy efficiency portfolio. Develop and implementation of QA/QC process and procedures and conduct QA investigations wherever necessary and recommend corrective action.
• Effectively communicate project expectations, change management efforts including scope and technical requirements to team members and stakeholders in a clear and timely fashion.
• Support for regulatory and rates departments and EEP management for data requests, or other financial inquiries of the program.
• Clearly communicate project timelines, including milestones, deadlines and deliverables.
• Partner internally with program managers to ensure trade ally and program QA/QC information is aligned.
• Effectively communicate project expectations including scope and technical requirements to team members and stakeholders in a clear and timely fashion.
• Resolve and/or escalate issues in a timely manner.
• Represent the project in various project governance and interdepartmental forums.
• Ensure all projects meet success parameters and ROI targets stated in the business case.
• Develop QA/QC plan to ensure accurate program results and good evaluation results
• Ensure continuous improvement of operational QA/QC year after year.
BA or BS in engineering, quality assurance, auditing, accounting, finance, economics and/or other regulatory/rates or business/technical degree with QA/Auditing experience.
Preferred: Advanced business/science degree.
3-6 years business experience, or graduate degree with 2-4 years of experience.
OR any combination of education and work experience which permits the candidate to meet position work requirements.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Very good analytical, project management, facilitation and communication skills. Strong quality auditing and regulatory skills and data sorting/tabulating abilities. Capable of crafting compelling visions and influencing / persuading others to commit to and follow through on supporting your vision. Exceptional written and oral communicator who knows how to advocate for an idea. Mastery of Microsoft office products, with an emphasis on Word, Excel, and Power Point. Preferred quality auditing and/or rates/regulatory experience. Previous experience implementing or developing energy efficiency programs, or other similar start-up efforts is a plus. The program need not be specific to gas, but would be preferred
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Sales & Marketing
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Naperville
Operating Company: Nicor Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
G O Naperville - 1844 W Ferry Rd. (1844NapervilleCODE)
1844 W Ferry Rd.
Req ID: GAS2000590