Arup Energy Engineer / Analyst in London, United Kingdom
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Our Energy, Cities and Climate Change Consulting team in London is a trusted adviser for city policy and action on climate change, energy and green cities globally; and a leading consultant in the planning, design and delivery of low carbon energy infrastructure in the UK.
We have a new opportunity for an Energy Engineer / Analyst to act as a consultant and energy system designer in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, policy experts and environmental scientists in London who focus on the challenges and opportunities of energy, climate change and cities.
We demonstrate Arup’s capacity to deliver across the full service spectrum. From high level policy development through technical design, financial analysis, project delivery and operational optimisation, we work across a vast range of interventions. As an energy analyst this gives you a unique breadth of opportunities to work with a variety of clients and projects, including governments, utility companies, large corporates, developers and investors.
This work is further strengthened through collaborations with some of the leading thinkers, advocates and drivers of transformation, including National Grid, Greater London Authority, the Rockefeller Foundation and C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group.
As an Energy Engineer / Analyst your role will involve:
• Modelling and designing district scale energy systems – in particular heat networks – and downstream roles such as procurement adviser and Owner’s Engineer.
• Modelling and designing energy centres – often connected to district heating systems, including:
• Gas CHP, both turbines and engines;
• Water Source Heat Pumps;
• Air Source Heat Pumps;
• Gas boilers.
• Advising public and private sector clients on options, risks and appropriate actions to make choices and mitigate risks.
• Undertaking technical consulting projects including energy masterplans and energy infrastructure feasibility studies.
• Working on proposals.
• Producing high quality reports in clear English.
• Preparing high quality diagrams and presentations.
• Supporting the project managers on project management and administration.
• Co-ordinating work with engineers, economists and other specialists.
• Research into low carbon energy system innovation and related aspects of cities, resilience and climate change.
• Keeping up to date with technical and policy developments in the energy sector.
Requirements and Skills
We require someone with the following skills and experience:
Technical skills and knowledge:
• Degree qualified in Energy, Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical or Other Engineering, ideally at Masters level (other equivalent qualifications will be considered).
• Working towards chartership in an engineering institution.
• Experience of heat system design including a range of generation systems (e.g. gas CHP, EfW, heat pumps, biomass, solar thermal).
• Experience of decentralised energy procurement including district heating.
• Experience of energy system installation, commissioning and operation.
• Knowledge of current UK energy regulations, such as Part L, the feed-in tariff, RHI etc.
• A sound understanding of the principles of climate change and its relationship to the energy sector.
Management and consulting skills and knowledge:
• Excellent communication skills (both written and oral).
• Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines is essential.
• Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills.
• Highly motivated and willing to take on new challenges.
• A commitment to technical excellence, learning and CPD.
• You may be required to travel from time to time for assignments.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Title: Energy Engineer / Analyst
Requisition ID: LON00008C