NextEra Energy Wind Energy Resource Analyst in Juno Beach, Florida
Wind Energy Resource Analyst
Date:Jul 6, 2017
Primary Location:Juno Beach, FL, US, 33408
Company:NextEra Energy Requisition ID: 9845
provides innovative forecasting and optimization solutions that enable low cost, reliable and sustainable power systems.
Position Specific Description NextEra Energy and its affiliate entities represent the world’s largest generator of wind and solar renewable energy. We are currently seeking a Wind Energy Resource Analyst to contribute to the design and development of new wind energy centers. In this role, your primary responsibilities will be to work among multi-disciplinary project teams to numerically model wind resource, design optimized wind turbine layouts, estimate longterm power production and communicate results to upper management in support of investment decisions. In addition, this position offers abundant opportunities for collaboration on both short and longterm process improvements and new product development. The ideal candidate will have excellent analytical problem solving skills, an inherent passion for wind energy, strong independent decision making skills and the drive to grow professionally.
Job Overview This job is responsible for running sophisticated wind flow, solar irradiance, statistical and GIS models to produce long-term wind or solar energy production estimates. Employees in this role are responsible for independent production responsibilities and multi-tasking across a range of diverse customer projects. Core services and deliverables include, but are not limited to, data collection and filtering, long-term wind or solar energy production estimates, power curve testing, investment approval processing, site suitability testing, financing support, and special projects. Individuals in this position apply knowledge in support of customer service and new product development and support Senior Quant Analysts with prototype coding, code/application testing, and process/application documentation.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews on-site wind and meteorological data from various sensing devices
- Sets up, monitors and analyzes numerical weather models (both meso- and micro-scale) to accurately understand the long-term wind/energy resource across a given area
- Sets up and executes in-house software and prediction tools to translate the long-term wind resource into energy production for a wide variety of turbine configurations
- Performs geospatial analysis using ArcGIS software and other industry-standard tools to identify turbine locations with maximum energy output and minimal impact to local land use
- Collects and filters solar irradiance and solar farm operational data
- Reviews electrical and structural drawings of commercial and utility scale solar farms
- Analyzes system energy loss due to wiring, transformers, soiling, snow etc.
- Diagnoses operating assets for plant optimization
- Provides investment due diligence and financing support
- Applies technical knowledge in support of new product development
- Provides site intelligence and field services, including construction screening, on-site instrumentation audits and shading analyses
- Provides meteorological instrumentation and siting recommendations
- Prepares written reports and presentations for both internal and external customers
- Travels to project sites to collect data, assists in permitting and community outreach, and participates in industry conferences - travel expectancy is between 5% and 25% of time
Performs other job-related duties as assigned Required Qualifications
Experience: 3+ years Preferred Qualifications
Master’s - Engineering
- Doctoral Degree
Employee Group: Exempt Employee Type: Full Time Job Category: Science, Research, and Technology Organization: WindLogics Inc (0047) Location: Juno Beach, Florida Other Work Locations: Florida Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-888-845-9731 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
#LI-NM1 Nearest Major Market:Palm Beach Nearest Secondary Market:Miami Job Segment:Wind Energy, Power Systems, Sustainability, Energy