Intertek Project Engineer - Energy in Cortland, New York
Project Engineer - Energy
This position is responsible for providing engineering expertise to evaluate conformance of inverters, wind turbines, generators, solar panels and other power generation equipment to industry standards, creating evaluation reports and test plans, conducting and/or witnessing testing, resolving technical and/or administrative issues.
Listed examples are illustrative and representative of the tasks required of this position and are not intended to be complete or exclusive.
· Independently conduct evaluations of equipment as required, to determine compliance with applicable standard(s). To do this, Project Engineer must:
o Plan, coordinate and execute project work and keep the client informed.
o Read and understand schematics and manufacturing instructions;
o Validate the project scope and sample applicability;
o Identify and locate test instruments and equipment required for testing within the scope of the project;
o Set up and operate equipment under test (EUT);
o Perform and document simple repairs on EUT as needed;
o Conduct thorough construction review; document results;
o Develop and set up test plans. Follow established test plan
o Perform testing of products in accordance with standards. Core tests include, but are not limited to: rating, leakage current, dielectric, temperature, pressure, stability, mechanical hazard, flammability, abnormal and fault insurance, rain.
o Perform utility interactive testing such as: response to abnormal voltage, response to abnormal frequency, unintentional islanding, harmonic distortion, interconnection integrity, etc.
· Mentor less senior technical personnel
· Supply information for quotes such as length of project, site needed, rental equipment, samples, and standards that will be used.
· Provide sales support such as attending client visits.
· Complete preliminary design reviews (PDR) both on and off site.
· Provide more specialized \"expertise\" for energy related equipment, i.e., become reviewer, resident expert, or obtain and maintain advanced product knowledge.
· Set up and operate standard test equipment including, but not limited to: power analyser, oscilloscope, load banks, EMI equipment, thermocouples and data loggers, multi-meter, dielectric strength tester, ground continuity tester, digital multi-meter, surge generator, over-voltage tester, environmental condition chamber, and articulated probes. Use hand tools to build/calibrate test fixtures.
· Follow sample handling procedures, ensuring that sample is logged in and out of the system. Move equipment as needed through the facility. Properly package sample for shipment.
· Communicate with clients, sales personnel, and management throughout testing.
· Review project files for compliance with operating procedures.
· Make technical decisions relating to the interpretation of standards, applicability of standards and development of test programs.
· Interact with clients, accreditors and/or AHJs to resolve issues and elevate issues to the next level of management when applicable.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or equivalent work experience
· 2-4 years’ experience related to energy generation equipment such as utility interactive generator, switchgear, inverters, power conversion equipment, PV modules, wind turbines, energy storage systems, etc.
· Demonstrated experience with U.S., Canadian, and other International product safety standards, i.e., ANSI, CSA, UL, EN, IEC, IEEE
· Experience with inverter and PV standards such as UL 1741,UL 2200, IEEE 1547, IEC 62109, UL 1703, UL 2703 etc. preferred
Intertek offers a salary and benefit package competitively placed within the local market. We promote a culture where motivated, customer-oriented employees can flourish, experience professional fulfillment, and reach their highest potential. We offer medical, prescription, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans, 401(k) with company match, paid time off (vacation, sick, holiday), Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), tuition reimbursement, and more.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veterans status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
Auto req ID:
State or Province: