National Grid Manager, New Gas Offerings-New Energy Solutions in Brooklyn, New York
About the Position:
National Grid's Connect 21 strategy is to build and operate better energy networks for the 21st century digital economy. Understanding that a robust electric and gas distribution and transmission system is necessary to deliver clean and economical energy to our customers, National Grid is implementing technologies on our networks that will allow us to meet our future energy challenges.
Our strategy is to encourage greater discipline around innovation, deploying new grid facing technologies, and integrating physical with digital networks that will better enable us to meet the challenges ahead to ensure the grids remains affordable for customers, and dynamic to accommodate changing energy flows and renewable and distributed energy.
National Grid's New Energy Solutions (NES) has been recently established to develop and launch agile, transformative, and innovative energy solutions; moving towards the goal of a customer-centric, 21st century utility. Our team culture is self-directed and empowered, and provides NES team members the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects, with start-to-finish project ownership, and participation in transformational industry change. We are proud of how we develop these solutions; embracing and integrating new energy and customer enabling technologies. NES unlocks value for National Grid's customers and communities and accelerates progress towards a sustainable future.
Lead the development of strategies, business cases and regulatory proposals to grow the value of the gas distribution system through cust9omer acquisition and by engaging current and/or new natural gas customers through new offerings, technologies or services that bring value to customers and support public policy goals. These goals include reduction in greenhouse gases, local air quality, energy affordability, effective system utilization and economic development. This position will engage with all groups within New Energy Solutions to ensure that NES is delivering positive financial results and regulatory outcomes consistent with targets, strong operational performance, attainment of capital investment plan and positive external and media relations as agreed with the different Jurisdictions and Regulatory entities.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
* Advance a comprehensive strategy and business plan for innovative gas initiatives / demonstrations and establishing the key hypotheses, objectives, resources, and milestones required to achieve this plan as well as tracking performance against predetermined KPIs and Metrics.
* Develop strong business cases and value propositions for new gas product/service proposals, including advanced distributed generation, renewable heating and cooling and transportation fueled by gaseous fuels including Compressed Natural Gas, Liquefied Natural Gas and hydrogen fuel cells , that frameworks the strategic significance to National Grid and its customers
* Foster the Performance Excellence discipline within the NES staff and instil a continuous improvement culture.
* Ensure staff adherence and compliance with all internal and external requirements such as (not limited to): pipeline safety, building safety, safety plans, business continuity plan, risk register, etc.
* Provide strategic organizational direction and develop medium-range plans that impact the utilization of gas networks and the development of new gas products and services for customers.
* Provide consulting and recommendations to senior management on strategies for future customer offerings that are aligned with and support Company's Growth Playbook and Utility of the Future
* Conduct high level reviews of project charters and work plans, confirming appropriateness of project approach and that cross-functional work streams have been included to facilitate success in the delivery of project/program.
* Plan and co-lead regulatory or governmental proceedings and filings, and testify at hearings as it relates to innovative gas products and services, across all jurisdictions in order to support the realization of the National Grid's objectives.
* Utilize the results of collaborative research and demonstration programs to evolve the customer value propositions and strategies as it relates to new gas products and services.
* Initiate scalable gas demonstration projects to stitch their integration in to the core gas business, evaluate different hypothesis and solidify the customer value propositions.
* Create and maintain effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders in order to build and maintain long-term emerging markets strategy.
Knowledge & Experience Required:
* Bachelor degree in business, or engineering, MBA /MS preferred.
* Minimum seven years of work experience in technology and innovation program development, strategy, finance or performance management with significant accomplishments involving gas technologies
* Analytical and business management skills (Advance Excel skills are a plus)
* Completion of certificate programs such as Chartered Industrial Gas Consultant (CIGC) and/or Registered Commercial Gas Consultant (RCGC) or equivalent experience are a plus
* Deep knowledge of industry trends and innovation occurring in emerging markets, including renewable gas, fuel cells, hydrogen vehicles, advanced efficient gas technologies and work methods.
* Entrepreneur mentality
* Understands the relevant customer, market and business drivers in order to determine long term strategies to meet the needs of customers, the business, and other key stakeholders
* Comfortable with ambiguity and change
* Leadership ability that influence others and drive change
* The ideal candidate can envision a future state that is radically different than today- while pragmatic about how to move to the future state.
* Mentor junior team members and create development opportunities for themselves and the team
* Visionary thinker who recognizes and proactively identifies breakthrough ideas and is committed to achieving/exceeding results.
* Possesses positive expectations for peers and is able to work collaboratively in a matrix organization to achieve results.
* Actively builds and maintains a network of relationships, with both internal and external stakeholders
* Establishes the facts by digging deeper, asking probing questions and challenging initial responses from different sources.
* Manage a multi -disciplined team of professionals (minimum 3) that include principle and lead program managers, and engineers with a focus on a broad range of gas innovative solu tion development
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that value s a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion t hat drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.